Console emulators have always been a great use-case for Flatpak since they are a pain to build, sometimes proprietary, and not allowed in some distributions. As such I, with some help, have been packaging a few of the more popular and maintained emulators lately and thought I would mention them and keep a semi-maintained table for future reference.
All applications in my repository are considered experimental, are likely built directly from git, and may or may not work or be supported.
|Game Boy Advance||mGBA||io.mgba.mGBA||flathub|
* RetroArch supports over a dozen consoles but some highlights not handled elsewhere: DS, Nintendo 64, PlayStation, Dreamcast, Game Boy, Game Boy Color
This list would be longer but as mentioned emulators are often quite a pain to build or distribute. Some failures have been:
- epsxe for the PS1 which is a proprietary core and doesn’t work with some third-party awful plugins (some foss, all bad) on top.
- PCSX-Reloaded which works but is a dead project.
- Mupen64Plus which has no UI, third-party ones exist which I might investigate.
- Play! for the PS2 which is still early in development.
- Higan required some patches but works fine I was just petty and too annoyed by its UI to package it.
- DeSmuME for the DS had some C++ build errors I didn’t feel like getting into as melonDS seems like a more promising future there anyway.
So that is all so far; Let me know if there are some emulators you’d like packaged.